What a week!

I am back in the land of trees and lakes and Jemma is adopted!! But it was NOT a smooth ride.

Last Sunday, Jemma was referred. The adopter phoned me to set up the meet and greet. She had been advised that there was a waiting list for Jemma and that we do not “hold” cats — especially kittens. I also explained to her that I was going away at the end of the week. She couldn’t come on Monday but we agreed on Tuesday evening — no time.

Photo: Brendan O.

On Tuesday, Dixie got a referral. They were already TCR adopters and were looking for a companion — for their tabby named Murphy!!! That family wanted to come right away, so I said sure. I also had three different fosters coming to pick up supplies! I emailed Jemma’s potential adopter and asked if she could specify a time. She said “5.30 — you said you’d be home at 5.30, right? I have tickets for TIFF and need to get back downtown.” Odd, but ok. So I left work early to make sure I was home on time. Five-thirty came and went.

At six, Dixie’s potential adopters arrived. They, it turns out, had been an hour early (“you can never tell about traffic”) and spent their wait in the park. ๐Ÿ™‚ย  When they walked in they saw Jemma. “Is that Jemma?” they asked. Turns out they had looked at her first but by the time they were ready, she had been removed from the website. The meet and greet went great. Dixie was her usual outgoing self, climbing all over them, rubbing noses, playing and running around. They were smitten. The husband kept looking at Jemma, though, and admitted that he really wanted a black cat. But they left with Dixie, who apparently slept all the way home.

What? There’s a towel so it doesn’t count as “on the counter”.

At seven, I emailed the adoption counsellor to tell her about Jemma’s no show. At 8.30 the no-show emailed me, “Sorry, I got stuck in bad traffic so I turned around and went home. I’d like to reschedule.” The delete button sometimes makes me very happy.

The three fosters came and went and it was a long evening.

Just before I went to bed Dixie’s adopter emailed me.ย  There were signs it wasn’t going well but they knew to give it time. Unfortunately, the next morning things had gotten much worse and Dixie was being very aggressive with everyone — humans and poor Murphy, alike. It sounded quite bad. Almost any other foster and I would have pushed for more time but given how out of character it was for her, something was wrong. So they brought her back. ๐Ÿ˜ฆย  But they adopted Jemma!

The next evening they emailed me looking for advice on their resident cat. He was not eating, or playing, not himself. Was Dixie ok (ie. was Dixie sick?) Not at all. Maybe he’s stressed. He vomited twice and they were talking about taking him to the vet. I spent a very stressful day worrying but the next evening got a message that at 2am he’d suddenly jumped up, eaten, had a long drink, and began playing. They sent me a photo of he and Jemma eating together. Great, but too soon! At least it worked and they were all happy.

The morning after Jemma was adopted, I woke up to another referral for Dixie! Many emails and two long phone calls later she bailed at the last minute. I could say a LOT more, but I won’t. :-s

So I took Dixie to an adoption event we were having. I wasn’t thrilled, but with heading out of town I was out of options. I was so worried about how she’d behave given the disastrous first adoption. She was awesome. Sitting up alert and checking out her cage; playing with toys, grabbing at people’s fingers, rubbing her face on people’s hands. I felt much better and managed to drag myself away, fighting tears. Sadly, she wasn’t adopted. Apparently one of the store volunteers took her home. She still has a couple of people interested in her; we’ll see what happens this week. Otherwise, she’ll come back to me when I get back to the city.





About Adventures in Cat Fostering

I am a cat fosterer for Toronto Cat Rescue. I also have two cats of my own, Jonesy, the black and white, and Murphy, the brown tabby, in the photo. Both were adopted from Toronto Cat Rescue.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to What a week!

  1. Carol says:

    Oh my that was quite a week! Enjoy your time away . . . you definitely deserve a break and some relaxation!

    Liked by 1 person

  2. ah yes….the rollercoaster ride of rescue. it does make us nuts that people seem to take advantage of the time of volunteers though

    Liked by 1 person

  3. Elizabeth says:

    It does have the advantage that you could screen out that potential adopter as unsuitable, at least. ๐Ÿ˜œ But seriously, that was deplorable behaviour, and I’m sad that it seems to be not uncommon. Incidently, Benson and his little sister Anabel are doing very well together – we’re looking forward to seeing them in November!

    Liked by 1 person

  4. Glad it worked out for Jemma and her people, and I hope Dixie has her people by now

    Liked by 1 person

  5. Pingback: Dixie’s adopted! | Adventures in Cat Fostering

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s