Welcome to my worst* disappointment/disruption of plans in four years of fostering.
We had a plan. Jasmine and the Flowers were getting spayed/neutered. They’d recover for a day at my place. Then the potential adopters would come and choose two of the kittens. And then Jasmine and the others would go to Jen’s store. It was all set. All scheduled. I even had another feline family waiting to come, as soon as there was space.
But the vet noticed a mark on Jasmine’s face. They think it might be … ringworm. Aaauuuuggghhhh. I don’t see how it can be; she’s been here three months and the incubation period for ringworm is 14 – 21 days. But once the word has been said it can’t be unsaid. We can’t, in good conscience, adopt out any cat or kitten that may have been in contact with ringworm. And we certainly can’t send them to a store! And the test results take TWO WEEKS.
Even worse? Although they’ve been in quarantine the entire time they’ve been here, it hasn’t been strict quarantine. And any protections I’ve taken have been to prevent anything getting into the foster room. I was never concerned about anything getting out. They’ve been so healthy. 😦
At least they did have their surgeries but they’re back here for at least two weeks. That’s if the results are negative. If they’re positive?? Who knows. It can take weeks to clear up ringworm. WEEKS. It’s my fostering nightmare.
So I’ll hold my breath and try to enjoy them while they’re here. And cross my fingers that the potential adopters will be patient and wait for them. But with the flood of kittens coming in, I’m worried.
And I’m heartbroken for the family that was supposed to arrive! It’s a mama, her three kittens and FIVE kittens she’s fostering. One human and sixteen feline lives on hold.